Friday, December 21, 2012

Gingerbread Time!

Once, many years ago I decided to make my own gingerbread house, completely from scratch - using a metric cookbook. It didn't go well. I don't remember ever attempting gingerbread since then...until this year. I figured since I have done fairly well with other roll out cookies I might as well attempt gingerbread again.


There was one major hurdle to my gingerbread dreams this year. I could not find molasses in the store. I tried three stores. I am also stubborn and refused to ask an employee where they might be hiding it. I figured it was in the baking aisle, maybe near the Caro Syrup? I finally told my mother about the surprising molasses shortage and she was able to find it... near the syrup. Mrs. Butterworths and molasses, hanging out like BFF's. Who would've thought. Have you ever put molasses on your pancakes? Cause I haven't.



I've read that you're not supposed to put a ton of frosting on gingerbread cookies because you should let the spices shine through... since I was going simple, I decided not to bother with mixing up 13 colors of icing either. I used just white icing and sanding sugar.



My grandma requested her annual Christmas cookie platter be in gingerbread, so I had to go find more molasses - can't disappoint Grandma. The store I was at did NOT have molasses near the syrup, it was right next to the Caro Syrup.  Go figure.

Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment